Saturday, 1 August 2009

Remembering the Fabrics from My Earlier Years!

Some weeks ago I mentioned that my Mum had made me a beautiful quilt using a lot of fabrics from clothes my sisters, Mum and I made during the late 60s and 70s. We all grew up sewing as virtually all our clothes were homemade. It is the first quilt Mum has made and I am thrilled that she has done this for me. My photo makes it look a bit crooked but it is just my photography skills (or lack of!).

There is so much work in it - all the little hangers are embroidered and each of the little waistcoats is lined and has an inside pocket with a little treasure inside. Mum has used embellishments to link the quilt with me - my name (Deborah) means "bee" in Hebrew so there is a bee, there is a school satchel because these fabrics come from when I was still at school, gardening tools because I love my garden etc etc. Just had to share it with you! I love having it hanging in my home and even though my Mum lives about 1000 kilometres away, I feel as if she is closer every time I look at the quilt.

(Detail of one of the waistcoats)

PS If you met my Mum you would love her (everyone does) but if you mentioned this quilt I can guarantee she would tell you all the faults she sees in the quilt and all the things she reckons she should have done differently!

11 comments:

kiwicarole said...

What a lovely gift, and what a great job your mum has made of this! A real treasure. Lucky you.
carole ;)

Susan D said...

Tell your Mum she has done a brilliant job and she should be proud of it.... aren't we all our worst critics though, I know I do the same thing.

Gretz said...

Wow the detail is amazing. What a woonderful heirloom!

Jo Wholohan said...

this is just gorgeous deb, what a wonderful quilt xx

Jenxo said...

OH its so gorgeous Deb, with such special memories. jenxo

Brenda said...

Such a wonderful quilt and keepsake - you are so very blessed.

Sam Marshall said...

Hi Debbi
This quilt is so beautiful and so intricate.

Julie H said...

What a treasure! Your Mum is a very talented woman.

Caity said...

BRILLIANT!! What a lovely treasure! (and so is the quilt, LOL!)

Leah/ Texas/ United States said...

this is SO COOL!!

Jas. said...

Yes, she definitely sees all the faults in just as I'm sure you do with your art and I with my cooking! But I love it, she unstitched those hangers so many times as she wasn't happy with them, but I think it looks adorable and loved hearing what all the fabrics were actually from (love the orange leather!?!). So much for a mosaicing class - eh?