Friday, 16 January 2009

The Simple Abundance Path

(Fibre ATC from Clara Lloveras)

Many years ago (I think it was around 1995 or 1996) a childhood friend who has lived the last 20+ years in the US sent me a copy of Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance - A Day Book of Comfort and Joy". At the time I was not happy and couldn't work out why as I could tick all those happiness boxes (you know, health, husband and kids, rewarding job, somewhere to live, something to eat...)

Anyway it was a life-changing experience and I feel as though I personally "know" Sarah as I have, over the years, bought copies of her book for several people and re-read my own many times. For the first few years I read a page a day each year (for anyone who doesn't know the book, it has a reading for each day) and then I moved to reading it every second year. Last year was an "off" year and by the end of the year I could really tell that I NEEDED to read it again in 2009.

It is one of those books that has an extensive bibliography and it has led me to many wonderful books that I doubt I would have come across otherwise, but the reason I constantly re-read it is because it centres me and it makes me confront my current thinking. I don't agree with everything or follow all of Sarah's rituals but I really do believe in this book.

Anyway I am back reading it on a daily basis and it is already working its magic on my thinking! I can't remember whether I posted about my word for 2009 (a la Christine Kane's Resolution Revolution) but it is SERENITY and I have realised today that reading Simple Abundance really does help me practise it (serenity, that is). Today I also started my Gratitude Journal for 2009 and I had no trouble thinking of five things I am grateful for. Another of Sarah's recommendations is to keep an Illustrated Discovery Journal to help us identify our personal preferences. In the past I have "sort-of" started this and faded out fast but I think this year I may just do it as I am enjoying art journaling and can see that I can do it "my way". I think my resistance comes from my fear of having to actually decide exactly what it is I want in my life. Which is pretty stupid when I really think about it as I really do "know" it, I just haven't always articulated it (and don't like explaining it!)

So if you haven't ever read the book, I recommend it. I'll probably post about it again!

Today's mail brought this lovely fibre ATC at the top of this post. I did a one-on-one trade with Clara Lloveras in Spain. I thought it was an abstract until I read the title (Zebra) on the back and thought to look at it in landscape orientation! I had automatically looked at it in portrait. Thanks Clara - I love the simple abundance of it!

2 comments:

Patricia Delisha said...

Loved your blog Debbi!
I'm new to this and have just started a new blog at http://ahungryyear.blogspot.com
Cheers!
Tricia May O'Neill

Mano said...

Hi,

You've an extremely nice weblog. To grow to be a effective human being the fundamental factor should be to have positive thinking. Get pleasure from Sky Rocketing Accomplishment with Turbo charged Positive Affirmations... Grow Positive Thinking So You are able to Eradicate Pressure Out of your Existence, Boost Your Self-Confidence and Plan Your self For Lifetime Achievements!