Sunday 20 April 2008

April Take It Further Challenge - Change

As mentioned back here, the April theme for Sharon's Take it Further Challenge is change and we were challenged to represent how we think about change in creating our piece, whatever the media.

I am using my little tree quilt as the whole time I was making it I was thinking about how it mirrored my thoughts on the subject! I've made some little changes to the quilt from when it was first posted - partly to try and fix problem areas (!) and also to make a stronger connection with the TIF challenge.

The tree represents nature and in nature change is inevitable. We really shouldn't have so much trouble accepting what is effectively inevitable. But I was also thinking about how there are times when we are better off initiating the change rather than waiting for it! This can mean leaving a safe and secure place (or comfort zone), going it alone (just like the fallen apple!), trying something different.

On my quilt I have used a twill tape that has been printed like a measuring tape and I thought that was quite appropriate - firstly because it reflects measurement (how much change) but also because it also has associations with growth and to my mind, change and growth are very much associated. The tape is used as a border though to also represent the boundaries that we create and the limitations we place on ourselves.The little file label has the word "journey" in it as our lives are a journey, a journey of growth and change!

For me this was the first time I have painted, stamped and stitched on a canvas panel as part of a quilt so it hopefully reflects my urge to try new things and to expand my mixed media experiments.

And now to get back to some "home" fabric postcards I am making for an exchange (one of my favourite themes but they are bringing out the country in me!! Seems to be happening a lot lately...)

And to finish - here is a shot of a small patch of dry earth somewhere between Meekatharra and Wiluna in the Western Australian outback. I took my camera with me on a "pit stop" on my recent work trip as the texture of dried out ground fascinates me. Just had to share (and yes this shot was taken on the way back to the car!!)

8 comments:

Doreen G said...

You know Debbi my back yard looks just like that photo - no kidding.

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous picture, very inspiring...

artisbliss said...

That dry earth photo is almost an ATC in itself.

sharon young said...

Hi Debbi
I love your interpretation of this challenge and your explanation was very interesting, nice to see your thought processes.
Stunning pic, lovely the shadows.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

I really like all the little elements in your TIF challenge piece for April - the measuring tape and the little journey tag,the tree is a great symbol for change, I'm using the tree in my challenge piece too.

Unknown said...

I love your apple tree of button apples .... And your photo of the ground beneath your feet is very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

Purple Missus said...

Fantastic - you know I like this style. It turned out really well, the tape was a brilliant piece of inspiration. Reading your thought processes too was really interesting.

Sue McGettigan said...

Debbi I love that little tree quilt, how wonderful! The dry earth photo is amazing, I guess at some point it gets rain because there's plant life there, talk about change!