Tuesday 10 March 2009

Catching Up

This weekend I finally caught up with my pages and covers for the Creative Soul Book Challenge for the Art Retreat NEXT weekend!!

The picture at the top is the front cover of the concertina style book which I have made out of lovely Fabriano paper. The one below it is the back cover. For these covers I used some graph paper that I had used the back of when I was doing a large painting/colour wash project. It is lovely thick paper and the splashes and over sprays made it quite attractive so I have just embellished it a little further with stamps, stencilling and glimmer sprays and a stitched collage and book plate for the front.
Next are a couple of the pages I have finished off. The first one is for the challenge theme "all things French". I tried to avoid doing the Eiffel Tower for a change although it was rather hard as I, along with many others, really love that iconic image. I love that image of the woman posing in her floaty wraps and for some reason it always make me think of "things French" so I printed it on fabric and stitched it to a stamped and painted canvas page. The stamp at the bottom is a lovely corner "Poste Francaise" clear stamp by Prima (and their stamps are just divine - I have two of the "Build a Frame" sheets and love love love them!

The second page is for the theme "my favourite things". As my favourite things are many and varied, I decided to go for flowers as my main favourite thing but bright paint colours, texture paste, stencils, text stamps and canvas are some of my favourite art items as well. I have stitched all the skinny book pages onto the concertina book pages and I have wrapped the book with gorgeous vibrant recycled sari yarn (which is more like a twisted cord and which is worth every cent of its rather high price!) to keep it altogether.

Now, as I am on holidays as of today, I am off to pack for the Art Retreat (and do all the hundred other things I have left to the last minute).

14 comments:

Jen xo said...

oh Lovely Debbi, have a good time!!

Unknown said...

They are lovely Debbi. Have fun!

Celeste said...

Lovely pages and cover Debbi. See you on the weekend.

Sam Marshall said...

Hi Debbi,
Beautiful!!

Mixed Media Martyr said...

These pages are gorgeous! Thankyou for sharing them!!

Gaby Bee said...

Just fabulous Debbi! Have fun!
Gaby xo

Judy Alexander said...

Beautiful pages....love your work.

Val said...

The pages are just gorgeous Deb. Hope you have a great time - be thinking of you and wishing I was there! Val

Tatieva art said...

La première page est superbe, j'adore cet esprit vieille France, j'adore ! So cut...
Kisses from France,
Tatieva

artisbliss said...

I'm catching up with my favorite blogs today, including yours. Lovely work, and I agree with you about the recycled sari silk yarn. I've used it for knitting and other projects. Great stuff.

Viola said...

Gorgeous pages, Debbi! Love them all!

Sue McGettigan said...

Such wonderful things you're brewing up over there Debbi! Love to see what you're up to, hope the retreat is/was fun, nothing like a deadline to get the creative gears rolling :)

Anonymous said...

Your retreat sure sounds fun! And your pages are gorgeous!

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

Hi Deb
I'm doing a huge blo0g catch up myself.Your book pages are gorgeous...of course :o).I so want to get to next years retreat but as I didn't go to this one I'm not allowed to sign up for a month yet WAH.
hugs
Annette