Wednesday 5 November 2008

Textured Surfaces

Just a quick little post tonight as I am midway through painting a whole lot of textured surfaces!! Waiting for layers to dry so I can do the next lot takes more patience than I have when my creative time is limited to after-work hours!

Here are the first few of my "Textured Surfaces" experiments from the Fibre-in-Form workshop I am doing. The workshop involves (amongst many other things) using moulding paste but someone recommended flexible gap filler so I have tried that as well and absolutely love it. It works out a lot cheaper and is such a lovely texture plus I am sure I will be able to stitch into it. I have already used up a mini can and will definitely be getting more! The picture at the top of this post is the flexible filler on fabric with a text stamp pushed into it while it was still wet. It has had multiple layers of paint and metallic rub-on added and is still very flexible - like a thinnish leather.


This photo (above) is of strips of cloth (recycled rice bags) painted, inked and then bleached in places. The effect really makes me think of old weathered painted wood.


This last one is completely outside of the class "style" as it has only one light layer of paint dry-brushed over the filler but I just really like the effect with the white filler and bits of the rice bag text peeking through. This one is also very flexible.

Now back to my painting...

8 comments:

Kaz said...

these look fab, who'd have thought of using the filler??? I'll have to give it a try.
great samples here...

artisbliss said...

Is flexible filler what we call in the US caulk?

Doreen G said...

Great samples Debbi.

Aussie Jo said...

These are fantastic, I'm off to the hardware store today.

Jen Crossley said...

These background are just too die for Debbi
Jen

Brenda said...

Oh wow, I love these backgrounds, can't wait to see how you use them.

sharon young said...

Great effects your achieving here, Debbi, I especially like the last one.

Robin Mac said...

I love the backgrounds, Debbi, especially the first one. I imagine you buy flexible filler at the hardware store? I am planning on doing that course when they offer it again in the new year - I am being tantalised with all the samples I am seeing on blogs! Cheers, Robin