Sunday 25 May 2008

A Flotsam Post...Emphasis on May's Take it Further Challenge

This is today's effort to remember some of what I learnt in Misty's class only 10 days ago! Gosh it is scary how quickly you (or should that be "I") forget!! I enjoyed myself though...this is using a background I made in the class. Unfortunately I have covered up my gel medium transfer - Misty has no compunction (is that really a word?) about painting over or SANDING over work she has done but it is a big step for me!! Once again it is based on a magazine image of a face which is saned, painted over, altered and then repainted (sort-of!)... I am going to keep on practicing before I forget it all!

And now for something completely different - Sharon's challenge for May over at "Take it Further" was for us to consider what we called ourselves in terms of our art. She was, I think, focusing on our identification and potential labelling as artists versus crafters etc but I just can't get motivated to turn this theme into anything! I have never been a big one for labels and who cares what I call myself anyway? And do I care what someone else labels me? Well probably I do, at least at night when I can't sleep...

So that leaves me with the colour palette for this month and six days in which to make something that "takes me further". Needless to say I am pondering that one as the palette is quite out of my normal range, pretty, but very soft and pastel. Perhaps taking it further will just be me using different colours! Hmmm, thinking cap is on.

4 comments:

Sue McGettigan said...

LOL Debbi, sometimes an unfamiliar color palette really is the kick off to 'take it further' - just touching those colors is taking it further. Love your Misty work, it's really wonderful!

Robin Mac said...

I love your misty work too, I am only just learning to paint over or otherwise coverup stuff that I don't like - at least I have had enough sense to keep them rather than chucking them out - my first reaction! Looking forward to seeing your may TIF. Cheers, Robin

Carol said...

Deb tis is top level of lovely! You know when you say based on a face rom a magazine, did you actually stick the face down and then paste over??? I have been laying with this type of thing myself, and have a lovely image but not sure where to go with it.

Unknown said...

You must had some wonderful classes Debbi. What a lovely work you made, I love the "Traci" book..