Sunday 19 August 2007

Think Monday - Think ATC - Numbers

This is my Think Monday ATC for the current week's theme of "Numbers" - I am just scraping in before the new theme is announced tomorrow! All of the stamps used are from Julie van Oosten's Collections range and I have used one of the oil pastel backgrounds I made last week. You can't see it in the scan but it has a lovely golden glimmer from the Moon Shadow Mist (Medieval Gold).

Well like all good things my holidays finish tonight and I am back to work tomorrow. Getting a cold has slowed me down a bit creatively but overall the last couple of weeks have been a great break. Yesterday was quite warm and sunny, so in between loads of washing I made several sheets of fabric paper (a la Beryl Taylor), coloured some small fabric pieces with Adirondack Color Washes and painted canvas backgrounds. I also lost several hours in the evening reading "The Divide" by Nicholas Evans. I really like the way he writes and I couldn't stop myself from finishing it, even though my intention had been to make it last a week. So tomorrow on my lunch break I will be off to the second hand book store or the library in search of a good novel.

Today (after attending to domestic duties of the most mundane variety) I have finished my mini clean-up of the sewing and craft rooms so that I feel a bit more organised. I ALWAYS regret starting these clean-ups as they ALWAYS take far longer than I my original estimate and I start to feel as though I am never going to finish. I have probably "modified" what constitutes "finishing" but I have stopped and the rooms look a lot more organised than they did a week ago. Several piles of things have just been boxed rather than sorted but if they are lucky they will be first in line for the next clean-up!




The photos are of various stages in my fabric paper making frenzy. No pictures of the final results - I'll see what I can do about that tomorrow night. I think I have made my paper too firm again compared with the effect Beryl achieves - it will be usable but it certainly isn't very pliable. I obviously need to dilute my PVA glue more but 50/50 just seems so wet and sloppy!!

Here is a photo of the canvas backgrounds - needless to say I was having a bright day! I don't know about anyone else but I find it a lot easier to start a specific piece when my background or the canvas is already started. I guess it is my way of handling the white canvas syndrome. Anyway I find it very relaxing to just splash paint around because there is nothing specific intended at the time I am painting. I have a great big bag of painted canvases "ready" for projects - the initial colour quite often becomes irrelevant as I often completely change it once I am underway.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful, I like your work!

Unknown said...

Wow, You had such a productive weekend!!! Unlike mine... :-(
I like your paper fabric a lot, it makes me very curieus, I wanna know how it feels. How are you going to use it?

Anonymous said...

Really fantastic, your fabric paper, too.

Night Owl Designs said...

Wow, you've been busy Debbi! Your papers look amazing :-)

Ariane said...

I love the ATC you made! Great color combination!

Ev said...

Hi Debbi, I was in Lincraft today and found some muslin which I think may be more like the stuff that Beryl uses in her artworks - more flexible and lightweight and cheap at $1.49 per metre. I will have a play this week and let you know how I go. Remember the pva is a 50/50 mix just in case. Love your felted stuff - I am now considering having a look around at the machines!!

Gillian .... said...

love your TMTA and your paper fabric looks cool:)

Linda B said...

fab arty inspiration, I love your talent :)